Hey guys, Yuto here (@sudachi.recipe).
You Can Use Udon For Many Things
From cold to hot
Udon is a type of thick and chewy Japanese noodle made of wheat flour.
Udon is very versatile ingredient and can be used for a lot of dishes.
From cold udon to hot udon, there are many possible ways to use it.
Examples of Udon Dishes
- Kake Udon (かけうどん): In a hot dashi broth
- Zaru Udon (ざるうどん): Served cold with a cold dashi dipping sauce
- Bukkake Udon (ぶっかけうどん): Served hot or cold in a thicker, stronger dashi broth
- Kamaage Udon (釜揚げうどん): Served hot with a hot dashi dipping sauce
- Yaki Udon (焼うどん): Hot udon stir fried with vegetables and meat.
Salad Udon for Summer
Today’s recipe, salad udon, is a refreshing dish especially good for summer.
As the name literally implies, it’s udon with salad drizzled with a tasty sesame sauce.
You don’t need meat in it, it’s very nice without it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I supposed to drink the soup/sauce?
No, the soup/sauce is not to drink.Print
How to make healthy and delicious Japanese salad udon with sesame sauce.
- 360g Ready-to-use Udon (If it’s dried Udon 200g)
- 1/3 Lettuce (any kind)
- 1 Medium sized tomato
- 1/3 Spring onion
- 1 tsp Vegetable stock
- 50ml Water
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp White sesame seed
- 1 tbsp Ground white sesame seed
- First let’s make the sauce. In an easy to pour container, mix 1 tsp vegetable stock with 50ml of warm water. Stir until dissolved.
- Add 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tsp white sesame seeds and 1 tbsp ground white sesame seeds.
- Mix well and store in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- If the udon is dried, start cooking it in boiling water. (Follow instructions on the package)
- Cut lettuce and tomato into bite size pieces.
- Finely cut the spring onion, this will be sprinkled on the top at the end.
- Wash cooked udon with cold water and drain all the excess water.
- Transfer the udon to two bowls or plates.
- Add the tomatoes and lettuce on top of the udon.
- Drizzle the chilled sesame dressing over the top and garnish with finely cut spring onion.
If you want to add extra vegetables, this dish is also good with cucumber, sweetcorn, seaweed and okra.
For something extra you can also add tuna or natto.
- Category: Noodles
- Method: No Cooking
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: How to make Japanese udon salad with sesame dressing,Japanese sesame dressing recipe,Healthy Udon recipe,Cold udon salad recipe,How to make udon salad dressing,Japanese sesame dressing,sesame udon noodles