Hi, it’s Yuto (@sudachi.recipe) again.
What is Taco Rice?
The confusing name of “Taco” Rice
So you might be wondering what is”Taco rice”?
Yes, Taco/Tako (タコ) generally means octopus in Japanese, but this dish does not contain any octopus… I’m sorry for anyone who expects a dish with octopus though.
When I was a kid, I saw Taco Rice on TV drama. And I though…”Why does it not have octopus!?!?”
Now, it’s obvious that Taco does not mean octopus here. So what is it then?
This Taco refers to Mexican Tacos.
Origin and history of Taco Rice
Taco rice was born in tropical Okinawa in 1984 (quite recent yeah?) combining Mexican-American-style tacos and Japanese features.
It’s popular enough to be used for school lunch in Okinawa apparently!
Then it travelled to other parts of Japan and has become a stylish street food-ish, lunchy, cafe-like dish.
Yeah, stylish! Look at this vibrant dish! It’s sure to give you joy with the look and the taste! 🙂
Check out our video for How to Make Cafe Style Okinawan Taco Rice (タコライス)Print
How to make delicious, refreshing Okinawan Style Taco Rice
- 300g Cooked white rice
- 150g Minced beef (Preferably lean meat)
- 1 tsp Vegetable oil
- 3 leaves of Lettuce of your choice
- 1 Medium tomato
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1/2 White onion
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Chilli sauce (any that you like)
- 1 tbsp Grated cheese
- 4 Tortilla chips
- 1 tsp Mayonnaise (Optional)
To season the mince
- 1 tbsp Sake
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- First, cut the tomato and avocado into about 1cm cubes.
- Add the tomato to a small bowl and mix with 1 tsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp of your favourite chilli sauce. Set aside for later.
- Dice the onion and finely dice the garlic.
- Cut the lettuce into thin strips.
- Heat the pan on medium high and add about 1 tsp vegetable oil.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until the onion becomes see-through.
- Add the mince to the pan and fry until it’s cooked through.
- Once cooked, add 1 tbsp sake, 1 tsp sugar, 2 tsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp tomato ketchup, 1 tsp chilli powder and mix. Cook until the sauce is reduced. (See note)
- Arrange the lettuce around the edge of the plate, leaving the middle empty.
- Add the rice to the middle of the plate.
- Put between 1/3 and 1/2 of the mince mix on top (depending on if you’re making 2 or 3 servings)
- Put the tomato and avocado decoratively on top of the mince and lettuce.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
- Drizzle with mayo (optional) and serve!
If you can’t get all the ingredients for the seasoning or you want a short cut, you can use ready made taco spice (but it won’t have a Japanese flavour).
If you don’t like spicy food, you can leave out the chilli powder and chilli sauce. Without those ingredients it will be very mild and sweet.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Fusion
Keywords: Japanese Taco Rice,Okinawan Taco rice,Okinawa,taco rice,recipe,taco rice bowl,Japanese Fusion,