How to make Authentic and Crispy Japanese Karaage Fried Chicken
- 300g Chicken thigh (preferably with skin)
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 Small egg
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 5 tbsp Corn starch
- Oil for frying the chicken
- Cut the chicken thigh into bite size pieces.
- In a zip lock bag or tupperware, add the 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp mirin, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp garlic paste and 1 tsp ginger paste together with the chicken pieces and marinate for at least 30 mins in the refrigerator.
- Beat 1 an egg in a bowl and add the marinated chicken pieces, mix with your hand and rub the egg onto the surface of the chicken.
- Add flour to the bowl and mix again with your hand.
- Put the corn starch onto a plate and use to coat each piece of chicken.
- Heat the cooking oil to 180°C (360°F) and deep fry the chicken pieces for about 6 minutes.
- Lay the chicken out on a rack or absorbent kitchen towels to take out the excess oil.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Karaage is usually served with shredded cabbage and rice.
- When frying, you can usually tell it’s ready because the crackling noise of frying begins to die down.
- This recipe is delicious with dipping sauces or a squeeze of lemon, experiment!
- Chicken thigh is the best for this recipe as it stays juicy and crispy, but you can also use breast or wings, any part you like really!
- Method: Deep frying
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Karaage Recipe,How to make Japanese Fried Chicken,Japanese fried chicken,Japanese karaage recipe,Japanese crispy fried chicken,fried chicken,Chicken Karaage recipe,Japanese popcorn chicken